Friday, April 1, 2011

A-Z Challenge - 'A'

For me on my journey to wellness, the letter A stands for Alpha Lipoic Acid. ALA is an antioxidant (which also begins with A!) that helps prevent free radical damage in the body. For my purposes, ALA has also shown to provide benefits for people suffering from peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy is essentially a tingling or pain in the nerve (neuro-) endings in the extremities (peripheral). While I may not have been officially diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy, I certainly do suffer from pain and tingling in my feet on a fairly regular basis (read: all the time!). ALA has been proven effective in doses as low as 600 mg. Due to the fact that ALA is naturally occurring in many of the foods that I am already eating, I limit my supplementation to 200 mg per day.

Please, do some research into ALA and consult your doctor before including Alpha Lipoic Acid in your supplementation.




No comments: