Monday, January 11, 2010

Shopping with the Maker's Diet in mind...

Today marked the first trip to the grocery store since I started on The Maker's Diet.  I knew that it is going to be somewhat of a challenge to find the best options to fulfill the recommended foods.  Sadly, grass-fed beef and poultry is not widely available.  While I found plenty of organic, vegetarian-fed beef and poultry, that is not the same.  While hormone-free is still better than the other choices, it would be better if it is also grass-fed.

So far, the best find of the day is The Farmer's Cow milk and eggs.  The Farmer's Cow is a local group that is "committed to providing fresh, local products to Connecticut and surrounding areas free of artificial growth hormones (rBST) or unneeded pesticides and chemicals."  This is beneficial for many reasons.  I love the fact that I am able to support local farms while fulfilling one aspect of the diet.  In addition to the milk I purchased (eggs weren't on the list this week), I picked up some spices.  The Maker's Diet has a listing of the top recommended herbs and spices with a description of the benefits they are touted to have.  Partially due to the recommendation and partially due to my personal preference, I picked up some cilantro and sea salt.  I also bought some marjoram, but that was totally a result of the recommendation.

Cilantro is one of those herbs that I absolutely love but just never had any in my spice rack.  It is an excellent addition to salsa and guacamole.  Marjoram is one that I am not too familiar with, so I will be researching some good recipes that use it.  As for salt, I am not a big user of a salt shaker.  I have had the same container of table salt for more than 10 years.  Timing is everything, though, as it is now empty!  Rather than replace it with the same thing, I figured it was as good a time as any to switch to sea salt.

Today, I decided to do a partial fast.  Doing a regular partial fast is recommended by Jordan Rubin.  He states: “Fasting is the high-powered spiritual tool for breakthrough in body, mind, and spirit. The average person feels much better and lives healthier by observing a one-day partial cleansing fast each week.”


As I wasn't going to be doing a lot of eating, I also opted to to take a day off from exercise.  Both decisions were somewhat influenced by other factors, but it was a logical decision.


Finally, one product that I am strongly considering adding to my routine is Primal Defense Ultra.  This product contains HSOs (homeostatic soil organisms) like Jordan Rubin used on his quest for health.  I am not yet sure if I will, but if it can help me I would like to try it.

No comments: