Sunday, January 24, 2010

'New' Discovery!

Yesterday, my girls spent a good portion of the day at the UConn Extension Center in Haddam for a 4H Skill-a-thon event.  This center is pretty much used as the headquarters for the Middlesex/New Haven counties' 4H clubs.  While there, Rae found a brochure for Deerfield Farm in Durham, CT and brought it home to me as it advertised raw milk!  Raw milk from grass-fed cows is one of the staples of The Maker's Diet.  I immediately clicked on to their website to learn more about Deerfield Farm.  Though their website mentions that they "let the cows eat the grass = less tractor usage on some fields = less emissions into the air & less manure to spread," it does not say that their cows are 100% grass fed.  As such, I contacted them to inquire about their cows' diet and I am awaiting a response.  I am hoping that they will be able to tell me that their cows are indeed grass fed - at least primarily.  While they have been in business for quite some time, this is a new discovery for me - and I am VERY excited about it!


Additionally, on our grocery shopping trip, I picked up a package of ground bison.  While I haven't been able to verify if it is grass fed or not, bison is raised differently than cattle - primarily allowed to graze on open fields rather than in smaller, fenced in pastures.  It is generally more environmentally friendly as they will not over-graze.  One thing that I was able to find out is that no hormones are used on bison.  They are raised naturally.  At $4.99 per pound, it is a little bit more expensive than the ground beef that you would normally buy, but not too much more.  I am still hoping to find a reasonably priced source of grass fed meats.  I am encouraged that a friend of mine will likely be starting on The Maker's Diet as well.  I am hoping that we can plan our purchases so that we can get bulk discounts and split shipping costs, though I would much prefer to buy locally.

No comments: