Monday, February 1, 2010

Wow, I'm tired!

Today has been an eventful one!  I decided to use The Biggest Loser game today as we need to return it tomorrow.  I wanted to give it another round so that I might be able to solidify my opinion of it.  I spent about 30 minutes on the various activities that it offers and worked up a decent sweat.  It really does offer quite a good workout.  Sadly, I just didn't feel motivated to stand there and record my food consumption for the previous day as well as what I had consumed thus far.  I suppose that if I were better able to plan out my meals and snacks, I could enter the whole day even if it were still only morning.  That just isn't me, though.  I pretty much decide what I am going to eat shortly before meal time.  Now, I realize that exercise and weight loss requires more than just a passing 'game,' but this aspect of the program seems a bit cumbersome.  If I am going to record what I eat and keep an activity log, I don't want to have to turn on the TV, the Wii, and put in The Biggest Loser game just to do it.
As a result of my experience today, the jury is still out on this one - though it is leaning 8 to 4 in favor of it.

After my trial with The Biggest Loser, I decided to push it a little further on the exercise front.  As such, I popped in my Wii Fit Plus disc and spent some time with that.  'Some' time turned into an additional hour!  I really like the boxing routine in the game.  It seems to be one of the biggest calorie burners offered - which makes sense as it incorporates the entire body in the workout.  You have to step on and off the balance board (not a huge step, but I do have the additional risers added to it) as well as throw punches in time with the 'beat.'

When I was finally done exercising, Victoria and I went downstairs to finish putting together some bookcases we were building.  This project actually began during the summer.  We had replaced the carpet in the basement and decided to give it a complete overhaul.  We thought that turning it into a sort of library would be really cool.  So, that meant needing more bookcases to properly display (and improve access to) all of the books we own.  I didn't want to get any of the cheap but heavy stuff (you know, the stuff built out of cheap particle board with cheesy laminate covering it to make it look like real wood), so we decided to build our own.  'Our' bookcase project quickly became 'my' bookcase project.  I had gotten all of the wood measured and cut to size, cut dado grooves in the upright pieces, and assembled several of my new bookcases - though not all - on a particularly productive day during the summer.  I had reached my limit when I still had three more bookcases to assemble.  Well, as things go, the prepped pieces came inside, went downstairs, and sat there waiting for the day that I would finish them.  Today was that day!  With the help of Victoria, we drilled the pilot holes and screwed the three remaining bookcases together.
As you might imagine, I had just about reached my limit for the day so the rest of my day has been, and will continue to be, rather peaceful (aside from helping to prepare dinner, that is).

Oh, I almost forgot...  I also signed up for the Pound for Pound Challenge.  If you don't watch The Biggest Loser, then you may not know what that is.  Basically, it is intended to serve two main purposes: 1.  To help people to lose the weight that they really want to/need to lose, and 2. To help the 1 out of every 6 Americans that struggle with hunger.  Essentially, for every pound pledged, $0.14 is donated to Feeding America.  At this point, I am not sure if there is any accountability for those that pledge to lose weight.  Either way, I figure that I am planning to lose the weight, anyway, so I might as well help others in the process.

No comments: