Wednesday, February 17, 2010

It was a good day...

Today was expected to be a busy one and that proved to be true.  The morning found us at the library for a couple of hours.  We make a regular, weekly trip to the library - though I don't always go - but today's trip was a little different.  Rae is teaching an acting class for homeschoolers.  The class is normally taught at the Green Street Arts Center, but due to school vacation this week the center is closed.  In order to not lose momentum, she scheduled a special class today at the library.
While there I was able to borrow (for a second time) book 12 in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, The Gathering Storm.  I had borrowed it previously but had very little time to actually read it and only got through the third chapter before having to return it.  Of course, one reason why I had little chance to read The Gathering Storm was because I had borrowed Nourishing Traditions at the same time.  Now that the most of the reading of Nourishing Traditions is done and I am only using it for reference, I can spend more time reading for fun.  Hopefully I will be able to finish reading The Gathering Storm before I need to return it this time.

After the library, we enjoyed lunch with several of our friends and fellow homeschoolers.  While this meant cheating on The Maker's Diet for a meal, I tried to minimize it.  I drank water and had a salad with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  While I did have some pizza, I ate a lot less than I would normally have done.  We hadn't planned on having lunch out but it was time well spent with friends.

Next, we headed down to Durham to visit Deerfield Farm so that I could pick up some more milk.  Knowing that we would be out today, I had called yesterday to reserve a couple of gallons.  I didn't want to take the chance that we would get there only to find that they had sold out of milk.  My precaution turned out to be unnecessary this time as there was plenty of milk available.  As a result, I picked up an extra quart.

Upon arriving home, I promptly poured all but 4 oz. of the extra quart into a wide-mouth container in another attempt at cheese-making.  This time, I added a tablespoon of yogurt to the milk hoping that the yogurt cultures might aid in the process.  I still need to find a better filter, but I have at least 4 days to find something to use.  I may not bother with the expense for this trial, anyway.  If it is successful, then I will likely buy something to use for future attempts.

Finally, tonight I enjoyed the results of my previous cheese-making attempt.  I toasted a slice of the Genesis 1:29 bread and spread on some of the cream cheese I had made.  I still think it tasted more like sour cream than cream cheese, but it is still good.  In fact, I am looking forward to the next time I have a baked potato and top it with the cheese.

No comments: