Sunday, March 13, 2011

Steam

Steam is good, especially when it comes to compost. The song for this post is Steam by Peter Gabriel.
This morning, when I took Ginger out for her morning walk, I took two of the mason jars with my beet kvass out to add to my compost heap. As I had taken the filtered kvass, I decided to add it directly to the soil in my raised bed rather than the compost. While I was out there, however, I took the lid off of the compost bin in order to stir things up. Really, I just wanted to see if it was frozen solid or not. I have been a little concerned that the compost would not be ready for this planting season. Well, my concerns have evaporated. The compost is no longer frozen solid so I was able to turn over the pile. In the process, I noticed that the materials were a lot further along in the decaying than I thought it would be. Not only that, the pile was actually steaming - generating its own heat! On the down side, I was hoping to have enough compost to fill the raised bed. It doesn't look like that will be the case, so I am going to have to buy some top soil to blend with my compost.


No comments: