Thursday, March 4, 2010

Got Milk?

Well, I do now.  We just made another run down to Deerfield Farm in Durham.  I was down to my last glass of milk and one more serving of yogurt until moments ago.  I was a little bothered to find out that Deerfield Farm has raised their prices.  Now, instead of $6.75 the milk is $7.50 per gallon.  It is a little painful, but the more I read about milk the more I am convinced that I need to be drinking raw milk rather than pasteurized/homogenized milk.  It is definitely worth the expense.

As I was prepared to pay $6.75 each for two gallons of milk - I had a $10.00 and four $1.00 bills - I had to make an adjustment.  As I also had a $20.00 bill, I ended up buying a container of yogurt ($4.50) in addition to the milk.  Deerfield Farm works on the honor system with a lock box in the store for customers to leave payment for their products.
My options were to:
  • Buy 1 gallon for $7.50 and a 1/2 gallon for $4.00 and paying $12.00
  • Buy the intended 2 gallons for $15.00 and paying $20.00
  • Buy 2 and 1/2 gallons for $19.00 and paying $20.00
  • Buy 2 gallons and 1 quart of plain yogurt for $19.50 and paying $20.00
I opted for the 4th choice.  Even though their yogurt is pasteurized, there are no additives at all.  It will work nicely as a starter for my own homemade, unpasteurized yogurt.

Raw milk v. pasteurized/homogenized milk is a considerable debate.  Raw milk is not sold legally in many states.  Fortunately for me, Connecticut is not one of those states.
I encourage you to check out the following links for more information concerning raw milk:

1 comment:

Steve said...

Thanks for posting thiss