Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bread - If...

OK, so I figured that I would stick with the Bread themed titles.  Given the trial and error aspect of my bread-making, the song title - If - seems fitting.  Yes, it is another sappy 70's love song...

So, trial number 1 is complete!  As it turns out, I didn't even come close to Donna's recipe.  My plans went slightly awry.  My red wheat berries and buckwheat groats sprouted very quickly and I didn't even have time to get to the store to pick up some quinoa.  My first trial recipe turned out as follows (measurements approximate):
I put the sprouted grains, flax seeds, and butter into the food processor.  The grains were still wet, so I didn't need to add any water.  After a few minutes of processing, I added the remaining ingredients and continued to process until blended.
I poured the mix into a standard loaf pan and baked it for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.

The result was pretty good!  I should have increased all of the ingredients as the resulting 'loaf' was a little flat - not suitable for making a sandwich - but it was otherwise decent.  The lack of yeast made it a little dense, but not at all brick-like.  I think for the next trial that I will use yeast, though.

Today was our regularly scheduled library day, so I took the opportunity to walk over to It's Only Natural and buy some quinoa and a few other things to add to the next trial.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Greg,
It seems that your posts are inspired by songs/music.
That's great.

multibrand.blogspot.com