Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Follow it Faithfully and Realize That You Can't Always Have It Any Way You Want It.

Phew, that's a long title!  I realized the other day that my blog named My Journey to Wellness that often has references to music (yeah, I know...every title lately has been music related) has not one single reference to the band Journey.  Sooo... I had to make up for it here.  The song title Faithfully actually fits in quite well with the concept of this blog - not the lyrics, though.  As well, the title Any Way You Want It definitely does not always describe the way things happen in life.  You know what though?  Just Don't Stop Believin' and things will tend to work out!  Of course, any change in lifestyle can definitely be a Trial By Fire.  OK, enough song references (for now), but I think that makes up for the previous lack of Journey songs.

I know what you are thinking...  You are thinking, "OK Greg, how are you going to tie all of those songs to this article?"  Well, I'll tell you...

Following The Maker's Diet means that I can't always have what I want the way that I want it.  As well, the diet is based on the Bible.  It calls strongly on faith in God.  I think - and I stress think - that the focus on faith and the Bible is one reason that The Maker's Diet has essentially been repackaged and marketed as the Guts and Glory Program in the book Restoring Your Digestive Health that is co-written by Jordan Rubin and Joseph Brasco.  This really is the same diet.  The difference is that the latter has almost no reference to prayer, faith, or God.  It is not completely devoid of God, but the focus is considerably different.  Mind you, I have not finished reading the book so if I find it to be different I will let you know.


Today was one of my several mini-fasts as recommended by The Maker's Diet (and by the Guts and Glory Program).  Fasting is beneficial both physically and spiritually.  Wikipedia describes the physical benefits as such:
Research suggests there are major health benefits to caloric restriction. Benefits include reduced risks of cancer, cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, insulin resistance, immune disorders, and more generally, the slowing of the aging process, and the potential to increase maximum life span.[2] According to Dr. Mark P. Mattson, chief of the laboratory of neurosciences at the US National Institute on Aging, fasting every other day (intermittent fasting) shows beneficial effects as strong as those of caloric-restriction diets[3] in mice, and a small study conducted on humans at the University of Illinois indicates the same results. [4]

In the context of both The Maker's Diet and the Guts and Glory Program, fasting is not meant to be used for long periods though this is not unacceptable if done properly.  Mini fasts once per week are recommended.  The mini fast could consist of a juice fast, water fast, or even a total fast from dinner one night until dinner the next day.  The primary reason is to enable the digestive system to 'catch up.'  Fasting gives your body a break.  It also allows you to 'reacquaint [yourself] with hunger.  Hunger is the body's signal to eat, yet most people don't experience this very basic sensation because they eat throughout the day and are always sated.  Short fasts put you in touch with your body's craving for food and help you understand when it is truly necessary to eat.' - page 108-109, Restoring Your Digestive Health
Furthermore, eating 'three square meals a day' is a relatively new standard.  Primitive cultures, in addition to hunting and foraging for their food as opposed to going to the drive thru, would go for longer periods of time between meals than we are accustomed to.
From The Maker's Diet, it is further recommended to pray during your fast each time you feel hunger.

From dinner last night (which consisted of sesame seed encrusted chicken - unfortunately not free range - and organic peas), I had only water to drink and my one serving of VidaCell with raw honey and cinnamon until dinner today.  Dinner consisted of a smoothie that I made with frozen berries (cherries, raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries), aloe juice, raw milk, raw honey, whole milk organic plain yogurt, and VidaCell.  As I write this, I am seriously considering repeating my mini fast tomorrow.  We'll see how I feel in the morning...

No comments: