Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quinoa for breakfast

A cold, dreary, wet weather day - no, not a 'dark and stormy night' - seemed the perfect setting for a nice, hot breakfast.  You know what?  It was!

As planned, I used quinoa to make a hot 'cereal' for breakfast.  I used about 1/2 cup of quinoa that I had set to soak last night and added some raisins, 1 tsp. of raw honey, about 1 Tbsp. of ground cinnamon, and 1 tsp. of organic maple syrup.  The maple syrup was an afterthought.  Next time that I make this I will probably use either a little more honey OR a little more maple syrup but not both.  I also did as I planned and added one serving of VidaCell.  Without adding any flavor (VidaCell is relatively flavorless), the VidaCell served as a thickening agent for the cereal in addition to adding to the nutrition profile.
It was a great way to start the day!

I forgot to mention in my last post that I now have a food processor - I guess that I was too excited about the quinoa!  I am also really happy to have this, though.  One thing that I really want to do is to make my own flour and dough.  Cutting out all bleached flour and any product that uses it as an ingredient really cuts down on a wide variety of foods!  One way to add some foods back into my diet but still avoid bleached flour is to make my own versions.
Timing is indeed everything.  Through one of my various online activities, I had earned enough points to redeem for a $50.00 amazon.com gift card.  It came in the mail today.  I promptly signed on to amazon.com, entered the gift card code, and went shopping.  I ordered some wheat berries, rye berries, and some buckwheat.  Once my order arrives, I plan to soak, sprout, dehydrate, and mill some of my own flour!
I also want use the food processor to make some almond and/or peanut butter and hummus.  I really have some reading to do, though, because I really don't know everything that this thing can do.  I do know that it is going to help me and my family eat a whole lot healthier!



1 comment:

Debby said...

Impressive!!! I need to seriously get organized like this. How does it all taste, my friend?